A speculative fiction writer creates stories that take place in alternative or imaginary worlds, often incorporating elements of science fiction, fantasy, and/or horror. I love to explore themes of social commentary, political issues, or philosophical questions. I use my imagination and research to create unique and imaginative worlds, characters, and plots that explore the possibilities of what could be from a diverse perspective. Writing novels, short stories, novellas, or screenplays in the speculative fiction genre keeps me busy, but there is much more to it than that. Here are some of the things I get up to:
- Reading and researching: I stay current on the latest trends and developments in the speculative fiction genre and read widely to get a sense of what other writers are doing.
- Brainstorming and outlining: Spend time brainstorming ideas for stories and develop those ideas into rough outlines or plot summaries.
- Writing: Set aside dedicated writing time to work on your stories and establish a regular writing routine.
- Revising and editing: After I’ve written a draft, take time to revise and edit your work to ensure that it’s as strong as possible. This is where the magic is.
- Sharing: Once my work is ready, I share it with readers through social media and other platforms.
- Networking: Building connections with other writers, agents, and industry professionals can help you find opportunities for your work and get feedback on your writing. Consider joining a writers’ group or attending writing conferences and events.
As a speculative fiction writer, my aim is to always include diverse characters in situations that they wouldn’t traditionally be represented. I will engage readers with creative and innovative storytelling that pushes the boundaries because that is the Urban Fantastic way.